Daisy Clock

daisyclockThis is one of those things I would never have gotten around to for another few years unless it were a school project. For my art/humanities credit at SMCC I took Intro to Ornamental Metalworking, which sounded like it would be pretty fun. (It was.) Given my penchant for clocks and lamps I decided to build one of the two, settling on a clock design as my lamp idea would only be partly metal and have a bit of wood as well. And thence was born the daisy clock.

clockpetals

The petals (as well as the enclosure box and hanging bracket) are 1/16″ aluminum sheet individually cut, run through the groove tool, brushed and TIG welded onto a 3″ circular center piece. You may also notice that there are, quite conveniently, twelve petals. If I do this again I would probably brush them before welding as it’s a lot easier, and I would also remember to put shims on the vise to avoid marking up the petals when filing the edges.

clockmiddle

The center is hand-hammered copper sheet, handily obtained from the “Copper Scrap Only” bucket. It was made wonderfully circular by the wonderful circle cutter, drilled pretty much in the middle by hand, and worked to it’s shape with a ball-peen hammer and an empty can previously occupied by Hannaford’s® Sliced Beets. The tab you see is one of two soldered on the back which hold the piece onto the rest of the clock.

clockmovement

I cannibalized the clock movement out of an old Wesclox AC alarm clock I got at Goodwill for $1.99, and here it is in all it’s glory. The cool thing: these movements don’t tick, they just go ’round nice and smooth like and they have more torque than a wimpy quartz movement. The less cool thing: you have to have a power cord. Oh well. The other less cool thing is that for some reason it’s not keeping time right now, it seems to think that a minute is actually 66 seconds. I think something’s rubbing and slowing it up.

daisyclockclose

The hands I made out of Aluminum welding rod. They were made mountable by hammering the end wider and flatter, drilling a hole of proper size and pressure fitting onto the shafts. They don’t stand out from the face very well, though, I need to make them a different color so the clock is more readable.

Advertisements