I Finally Beat GStreamer

I’ve been haggling with the somewhat common "Could not initialize GStreamer: Error re-scanning registry , child terminated by signal" errors after upgrading Ubuntu to 9.10 (Karmic) a couple months ago. A lot of things broke, notably xfce4-mixer, the XFCE volume control panel applet, and Brasero.

The solution that finally worked was to purge most all of the core GStreamer packages and reinstall them and the software that depends upon them. You can do this with apt-get purge <packages>, but I found it easier to use Synaptic –  search for “gstreamer” and select “Mark for complete removal” everything that has gstreamer in the actual package name and doesn’t also remove things that look system-critical. (Very scientific, I know.)

I had tried reinstalling packages a while ago, but that was either ineffective or I didn’t get the right one. So far XFCE’s mixer-related issues are resolved and Brasero is running again, so I’m happy.

Now onward to Google, thou post, and be useful to others!

Edit: Narrowed it down to something in gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad. Still not sure exactly what or why…

Advertisements